You can take your employer to an employment tribunal if you think they’ve treated you unfairly, or broken the law.
The tribunal is independent, and could order the employer to pay you compensation if you win your case.
You usually have to apply to the tribunal within 3 months of your employment ending, or the problem happening at work.
The tribunal can deal with a wide range of claims, eg unfair dismissal, discrimination, unfair deductions from your pay etc.

See if there is another way to solve the problem before going to the tribunal (eg using a grievance procedure, ACAS, mediation etc.). The Equality Advisory and Support Service can help if your claim is about discrimination. For general guidance on how the process works, call the Employment Tribunal public enquiry line (Telephone: 08457 959 775, Minicom: 0845 757 3722). They cannot give legal advice.

Contact us and we will help you.

Phone: 01234 854055,

Mobile: 07428793410,


Apply online to take your employer to an employment tribunal.
You can also fill in a claim form and post it to Employment Tribunal Central Office (England and Wales), PO Box 10218, Leicester, LE1 8EG or to Employment Tribunals Central Office (Scotland), PO Box 27105, Glasgow, G2 9JR.

You will have to pay a fee. The amount depends on your type of case. The most common types are listed in the table.

Type of case Claim fee  Hearing fee
Unpaid wages £160 £250
Redundancy pay £160  £250
Breach of contract £160  £250
Unfair dismissal  £250 £950
Equal pay £160  £250
Discrimination  £250 £950
Whistleblowing £250 £950
You may be able to get help paying your fees if you can’t afford them (eg, you’re on benefits or a low income). You can also apply for help with fees using the online service.

After you send your claim
Acas (Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service) may contact you to see if you can solve the problem without going to a tribunal. This is a free service and anything you say to Acas will be confidential.
The employer usually has to respond to your claim, to give their side of the case, within 28 days of getting your claim form. If they don’t reply, an employment judge may decide on your case without you having to go to a hearing.
If your employer does respond, there will be a hearing to decide on your case.
You may be asked to go to a meeting with the judge to decide on the date and time of the hearing; how long the hearing should take; other issues about your case.
Contact the tribunal office if you have any problems, eg getting information from the employer,
asking a witness to come to your hearing. You’ll get a letter giving you details of the hearing, where the tribunal will make a final decision - or ‘judgment’ - on your case.

Tribunal hearing
When you go to the tribunal hearing, take the documents you’re using to support your case. You’ll usually have to pay a fee for the hearing.
You can take a colleague with you if you want, but they can’t speak for you or ask questions.
Cases are normally held in the employment tribunal office closest to place where you worked.

At the hearing you (or your representative) and the employer put your cases to a panel or a judge, and answer questions.You will normally give evidence first, unless your case is about unfair dismissal.
You normally get the tribunal’s decision - or ‘judgment’ - on the day, but it may be sent in the post a few days after the hearing.
You can’t claim for expenses for going to the hearing.

If you win your case, the tribunal can order your employer to:

pay you compensation
pay you any tribunal fees you’ve paid
improve your working conditions
give you your job back, if appropriate

If you are given compensation the amount you get can depend on the type of case, your age, length of service, and salary.
Usually there are set limits to the amount you can get. However, in cases of discrimination, there is no limit.
If your employer is ordered to re-employ you and doesn’t, or fails to obey any other order, the tribunal can force them to pay you extra compensation.
If you don’t get your payment, first contact your employer to find out why.
If they still don’t pay, you can force them to.
You may not be able to do this if the employer has, or is about to, appeal.

If you’re in England or Wales

Ask the local county court to send an enforcement officer to get the money from your employer. This costs £40. Fill in an application to enforce an award form. Send the form, with a copy of the tribunal’s decision, to your local county court.
You can also use the Fast Track scheme to send a High Court Enforcement Officer - similar to a bailiff - to demand payment from your employer. This costs £60, which you get back from the employer when they pay. Fill in the Employment Tribunal Fast Track Enforcement form to use this service.

If you’re in Scotland

Write to the office that heard from your case, asking for an ‘extract of the judgment’. A Sheriff Officer can use this to force the employer to pay.

Redundancy payments
If you’re due a redundancy payment and your employer hasn’t paid it, call the Redundancy Payments Helpline at 0845 145 0004

If you lose your case

If you lose your case, you can ask the tribunal to look at the case again or/and appeal to the Employment Appeal Tribunal

1. Ask the tribunal to review the decision or judgment
You need to write to the tribunal office within 14 days of getting the decision, saying why you want it to be reviewed.

You have to give good reasons for asking for a review, eg the tribunal made a mistake in the way it reached its decision / you weren’t told about the hearing, or weren’t at the hearing / new evidence has turned up since the hearing. Send it to the tribunal office by email, fax or post.

2. Appeal to the Employment Appeal Tribunal

You can also appeal to the Employment Appeal Tribunal if you think the employment tribunal made a legal mistake. Ask the employment tribunal to send you the reasons for the decision, if you don’t already have them. To appeal, fill in the the notice of appeal form. Send it, with supporting documents, to the appeal tribunal office by email, fax or post.

For cases in England and Wales:, Telephone: 020 7273 1041, Fax: 020 7273 1045
Employment Appeal Tribunal, Second Floor, Fleetbank House, 2-6 Salisbury Square, London,

For cases in Scotland:, Telephone: 0131 225 3963, Fax: 0131 220 6694
Employment Appeal Tribunal, 52 Melville Street, Edinburgh, EH3 7HF

You’ll have to pay a fee of £400 to appeal to the Employment Appeal Tribunal. You’ll pay an extra £1,200 if a judge orders that your appeal goes to a full hearing.
Deadline for appealing is 42 days of the date the decision was sent to you or of the date the reasons were sent to you (if you asked for these within 14 days). Your appeal must arrive by 4pm on the final day.

Find out more about appealing to the Employment Appeal Tribunal:

If you want to bring a claim against an employer, please email us on or call us with details of your situation. 
We will offer you a free short appointment or a detailed assessment.
If we find we can help you we will make an appointment to discuss your issues in detail. 
If we find your case has a good chance of succeeding we will offer representation on affordable terms.  'No win no fee' terms are available for a strong case, although other costs may apply.

We can assist you with an application for fee remission if your income is below a certain level (currently £13, 000).